Blog - Why we need to go to the dentist regularly
The Importance of Regular Dental Checkups
At Dentist Auckland NZ we cannot emphasize enough the importance of teeth cleaning and regular dental check-ups. We understand that these days most people lead busy lives and often have no time to take care of themselves let alone their own oral health. However it’s important to still smile and be happy.
Having healthy teeth and gums and a beautiful smile comes down to regular maintenance.
Adults are recommended to see their dentist every 6 months. Having your teeth and gums cleaned regularly offers benefits not only to your appearance but to your overall health and well-being. What are some of the advantages:
1. Enjoy a whiter, brighter and fresher smile
Having your teeth professionally cleaned helps remove external stains caused by coffee, tea, wine, tobacco, and other products. Some stains are difficult to remove especially the ones caused by medications can also cause teeth to become discoloured. We often recommend professional whitening treatment systems.
2. Management of gum disease.
The gums are often linked to overall health. You dentist and hygienists check for deep pockets and spaces between teeth and gums. Depending on the severity this can indicate gum disease (periodontal disease) . Plaque contains bacteria that can cause inflammation around gums. If left untreated this can cause loss of teeth.
3. Maintaining overall health
There has been links between gum disease to other parts of the body including heart and brain. Studies have linked heart attacks to gum disease although the correlation between the two isn’t clear. People with diabetes of get checks for their feet, eyes and heart but miss their gums.
Our experienced Auckland dentists and hygienists have an in-depth understanding of how oral health affects the rest of your body if you want more information please ask.
4. Prevent bad breath (halitosis )
No one wants bad breath which can be caused by poor oral health and gum disease. Regular check-ups and professional hygiene visits ensure bacteria lodged lodged in hard-to-reach places are removed. Infact regular are the most effective way to ensure you enjoy good oral hygiene.
5. Keeping your teeth and Early Detection of Dental problems
Often people are unaware of problems in their mouths. Many dental issues do not cause pain until it is too late. This includes gum disease, tooth decay cavities and oral mouth cancer. . So unless you have pain or an obvious cavity, you may have issues you do not even know about.
During a routine check-up, your dentist will:
- Examine your neck, throat, tongue and face. Often your dentist is the first to find signs of potential nasty conditions such as cancer or other suspicious lesions. Early treatment significantly improves the chances of survival but often oral cancers are not discovered until advanced stage.
- Check for cavities. Early detection of cavities makes for easier and more cost-effective treatment.
- Check your oral health hygiene - plaque and tartar build-up. When plaque hardens on tooth surfaces it becomes tartar which is impossible to remove with regular brushing and flossing and so becomes a vicious cycle with more accumulating . It’s important to get on top if it early before it gets out of hand.
- Examine your gums. Your gums are an entry point into your body and bloodstream. Your dentists will measure the spaces and pockets between teeth and gums and gauge the severity of gum disease.
6. Saving money
Regular visits and preventative dentistry is far less expensive than spending on restoring and fixing teeth , root canals etc. We place a strong emphasis on preventative practices between scheduled regular examinations and cleaning.
7. Increasing Confidence and Self-Esteem
Having a lovely smile can instill great confidence and improve self-esteem. It plays an important role in creating a good impression. Regular dental visits will not only help you to maintain good oral health but will also give you the confidence to show off your beautiful smile.
8. Building a positive and long-term relationship with Your Dentist
Regular dental visits help you to get to know your dentist better and feel comfortable with the environment. This can ease your anxieties with being in the dental office over time. environment.
9. Role model for your Child - Setting a Good Example
Many parents are anxious about visiting the dentist and often their dental anxiety gets passed on to their children , evening unknowingly. So if you are nervous or feels negative towards visiting the dentist, your kids end up reacting in a similar way . Therefore, setting a good example by maintaining good regular hygiene visits are important.
10. Avoiding Teeth Loss
Over time advanced gum and periodontal disease can destroy supporting bone form the deep bacteria and plaque invasion.
Book now with your Auckland Dentist Visit today!
We are conveniently located across Auckland and would love to see you and your family today!